For once in a lifetime, all of these groups agree on something!
They ALL say No on Prop 88!
California State PTA
California Democratic Party
Republican Governor Schwarzenegger
California Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association
California School Boards Association
Small Business Action Committee
California Taxpayers Association
League of Women Voters
Parents, Teachers and Taxpayers Agree...No on 88!All
Californians want better schools, but Prop 88 is the wrong approach.
Supporters say “funds raised will go directly to the classroom where it
most.“ How credible is this when:
- State Legislature decides how $500 million dollars will be distributed among 1,000+ school districts every year.
- Prop 88 adds a new statewide property tax, assesses and collects the new tax from 10 million+ property owners statewide.
- It requires that a complex new information system be
established and that every teacher, school and school district in the state collect data for this
- Prop 88 sets a precedent for a whole new kind of property
tax. It imposes the first statewide property tax since
1910, and would encourage other special interests to pass more and bigger property parcel taxes.
- 99% of schools don’t qualify for facility grants.
While Prop 88 promises education facility grants, the independent,
State Legislative Analyst’s Office says only 1% of the schools qualify!
(Analysis by the Legislative Analyst)
This new tax never expires, we will have to keep paying it forever, whether it does anything to help schools or
Jul 30, 2009
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
Prop. 88 could bring $50 tax to your door. Flat fee would affect all property
Jun 23, 2009
San Francisco Chronicle
Parcel tax measure for education qualifies for November
Mar 8, 2009
Proposed parcel tax draws fire